WARNING: If you are using Internet Explorer 10.0 to view this site, you must use these instructions to view the site in compatibility mode.
The Certification and Licensing Branch is home to the solid waste, drinking water and wastewater certification programs. Through education and certification exams, these three programs help ensure that the people charged with dealing with community waste, drinking water and wastewater are knowledgeable and capable of handling the responsibilities required of those positions.
Drinking Water Certification
Solid Waste Certification
What does the Certification and Licensing Branch do to ensure that operators are properly trained?
The Kentucky Operator Certification Program provides training and issues certifications to ensure that individuals engaged in performing many of Kentucky's critical environmental activities are qualified and capable to perform their duties. Program activities include:
- Issuing certification licenses to Kentucky's bottled water, collection, distribution, treatment and solid waste operators.
- Presenting classes for bottled water, collection, distribution, treatment, landfarm, landfill and composting operators.
- Assisting the Kentucky Board of Certification of Water Treatment and Distribution System Operators and the Kentucky Board of Certification of Wastewater System Operators.
- Developing and implementing an operator recruitment strategy that encourages individuals to consider a career in wastewater, drinking water and solid waste facilities.
- Attending career fairs and speaking to groups about water treatment and solid waste careers.
- Providing relevant information to certified operators and interested parties through e-mail newsletters and the program blog. You can be added to the program's distribution list by calling the Division of Compliance Assistance at 800-926-8111, or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Kentucky Board of Certification of Water Treatment and Distribution System Operators and the Kentucky Board of Certification of Wastewater System Operators serve in an advisory capacity to the program. One of the board's activities is the review of continuing education courses for continuing education credit from third-party trainers.
Operator Certification is responsible for the testing and training records of certified operators. The Certification Program does not administer facility requirements. If you have a question on what classification of operator your drinking water, wastewater or solid waste facility is required to have or any other staffing requirements, contact the Kentucky Division of Water at 502-564-3410 or the Kentucky Division of Waste Management at 502-564-6716.