Continuing Education Course Providers - Reminders
1. Submit all requests for continuing education approval by using the most current Application for Approval of Courses for Continuing Education Credit DEP ACCE Revised 08-2009. This form may be downloaded from dca.ky.gov/certification
and click on the Forms page quick link.
2. The last page of the application is the Continuing Education Activity Report. This should be submitted after completion of the course. Operators must provide their agency interest number, name and license number to receive the continuing education hours. If they do not provide this information, they may not receive credit for the class.
3. When reporting continuing education hours, they must be reported using the Continuing Education Activity Report DEP CEAR 8-2009, or by completion of the report using the department’s ePortal for Electronic Submittals. This site is located at the following URL: https://dep.gateway.ky.gov/eportal/default.aspx
. Continuing education hours that are not submitted on this form or by using the ePortal form will be rejected and returned to the provider.
4. If you are using the electronic submittal for the first time, review the Continuing Education User Manual for instructions on how to register as a user and for instructions on how to complete the online form. The user manual can be found by clicking on the user help link at the top right hand corner of the Electronic Submittals
5. For assistance or questions regarding the completion of the Application for Approval of Courses for Continuing Education Credit or the Continuing Education Activity Report, please contact the Certification and Licensing Branch at 502-564-0323.
I am a training provider and want to get my training approved for continuing education. What is the process?
Training that is used for renewal of certifications must be approved by the respective certification board, as well as the cabinet. A training provider seeking approval of certified operator training shall submit to the cabinet a completed Application for Approval of Courses for Continuing Education Credit form. Applicants may request a one-time only or a two-year approval. Continuing education for bottled water, collection, distribution and treatment operators are based on core content determined by the Certification and Licensing Program, Kentucky Board of Certification of Wastewater System Operators and Kentucky Board of Certification of Water Treatment and Distribution System Operators. During the evaluation of training courses and seminars, the boards shall consider the consistency of training material with the core content. Core content was established to expand and enhance the competencies of certified operators in their operational duties at a drinking water or wastewater facility.
Upon receipt of a completed application, the board(s) will initiate the review process at their next regularly scheduled meeting. The boards typically meet each month. The Kentucky Board of Certification of Wastewater System Operators meets on the third Tuesday of each month, and the Kentucky Board of Certification of Water Treatment and Distribution System Operators meets on the third Thursday of each month. It is preferred that all training approval requests be submitted and approved prior to the event. If the training request is not approved and the event has already taken place, operators will not receive continuing education credit for their attendance at that event.
Upon completion of the approved training, the provider shall submit to the cabinet a completed Continuing Education Activity Report form. Any change in instructors, course content or time involved by participants will require the application to be resubmitted for approval.
A certified operator who has attended training that has not been submitted to the cabinet for approval may apply for training approval as outlined above. If you're interested in whether or not a course has been approved for continuing education hours, you may contact the Division of Compliance Assistance at 502-564-0323 or by e-mailing email@example.com.
These requirements are outlined in 401 KAR 11:050, Section 3.
Where do I find a list of the topics approved as core content?
The links below will provide the topics approved as core content for continuing education for bottled water, collection, distribution and treatment operators. These documents will be the foundation for approval of courses and seminars.
Core Content List for Bottled Water, Water Distribution and Water Treatment Operators Revised
Core Content List for Wastewater Collection and Treatment Operators Revised
Where can I locate the Application for Approval of Courses for Continuing Education Credit form?
All forms necessary for the application, registration and renewal of drinking water and wastewater operator certification are available on the department's forms library.